Call for a free consultation!
Call for a free consultation!
Sarah Sypher is Kansas City's premier consumer bankruptcy attorney for more than 15 years.

Tax Debts & Liens

Obtaining Tax Debt Relief Through Bankruptcy

Even if you owe back taxes, you can still file bankruptcy and obtain relief from other debts. In some cases, you may be able to obtain a discharge of your tax debt.

At Sypher Law, we help people resolve tax debt issues in the most favorable manner possible. For a reasonable flat fee, we can help you lift your debt and tax burden so that you can make a new financial start.

If You Do Not Have a Tax Lien

In most cases, debtors who have outstanding tax debts that were due and filed over three years prior to filing for bankruptcy, and have no tax liens, can use the bankruptcy process to obtain a complete discharge of those taxes, as well as unsecured debts to other creditors, through the Chapter 7 process. You will still owe taxes for more recent years. This assumes that you have filed your taxes on time and in good faith. In some cases, it may make more sense for you to file for bankruptcy under Chapter 13 to pay back taxes over a three to five year period.

Since 2005, Sypher Law has been helping Kansas City residents obtain debt relief, and we can evaluate your situation and recommend the right solution for you.

If You Have a Tax Lien

Tax debt is considered secured debt if a tax lien is already in place. You can file for bankruptcy under Chapter 13, which enables you to pay off your taxes over time at reduced interest rates and often reduce the amount of taxes you must pay back. Filing for Chapter 7 or Chapter 13 also stops a tax sale on your property.

Sypher Law has extensive experience in the use of the bankruptcy laws to relieve tax debts. We will work to obtain the relief you need, so that you can move forward in life once again.

Request a free debt relief consultation with Kansas bankruptcy attorney Sarah Sypher by filling out the form to the left, or call us at 913-451-8833 to schedule a free consultation.

Request a free consultation

  • We currently only accept Kansas clients
  • Email, phone or text
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.